Thursday, June 2, 2011

Wizard Smoke- The Speed of Smoke (2011) METAL ALERT

Really digging this, could make the top of 2011 list. Wizard Smoke is a stoner doom band (though you could probably guess based on the name and album title. Wizard Smoke was also an Ol' Scratch song title...) from Atlanta. Much of what they play is based on the NeurIsis handbook, what some people have been calling "atmospheric sludge" (which I always thought sounded silly) or "progressive sludge". There's also some worship at the Sabbathian altar and some Bongzilla-esque heavy blues to be heard on The Speed of Smoke. Overall excellent, sludgy, weedy, doom with some keyboards to add a bit of a psychedelic element to the sound. On first listen I wasn't so sure about the vocals. Not the vocals themselves, they're of the screechy, throat-shredding variety that I so adore, but they way they're recorded. They have that somewhat hollow, echoing sound that you hear a lot on black metal albums. However, after a few listens I started to enjoy them and now I think they're totally awesome with the sound that Wizard Smoke cultivates. Use your earballs.

Wizard Smoke on last.fm



Get it here. Wizard Smoke lets you download this for free! 

Gems: Dead Wood, Butcher, Panama II, Witches Brew

No comments:

Post a Comment