Friday, June 10, 2011

Loss- Despond (2011) METAL ALERT

Usually I like to have at least a handful of listens under my belt before posting an album. I've heard Despond in its entirety twice (thrice by the time I finish this). So why am I posting it after two listens? Because it's a fucking masterpiece. But more on that in a second. I love me some funeral doom. There's something about the melancholic guitar work over ultra heavy dirge and guttural vocals that I love and on their debut EP Loss did that as well as anybody I've ever heard. Combine that with the fact that the last Ahab album was a disappointment and I was ready to crown Loss the new kings of funeral doom after the EP. Despond not only confirms that assessment, but may even vault Loss into the ranks among my favorite bands currently making music.

It may sound weird, but Despond is one of the more beautiful albums I've heard recently. Don't get me wrong, it's depressing, but depressing in an oddly pretty and triumphant way that's frequently life-affirming. Perhaps it's just me. Every review I've read of the album talks about how oppressive an atmosphere it creates. I hear the delicate, often clean guitars and get jazzed. Here's the other thing about Despond though, it really isn't all that heavy. Barring a few songs, there isn't much of the punishing low end that one would expect from a funeral doom album (also, there's one sliver of black metal). Shit, there are clean vocals on this album! Good ones! It's like somber post-rock played at a snails pace with flashes of doom. Yet, somehow it's still very much a funeral doom album. The songs crawl along, the atmosphere is mournful and most of the vocals are guttural to the point that they're unintelligible. That being said, I've failed miserably at capturing the essence of this record. Just fucking listen to it.

Serious contender for album of the year. Suicidal black metal ain't got shit on this.

Loss on last.fm



Get it here.

Gems: I just said it was a masterpiece.

No comments:

Post a Comment