Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mars Red Sky- Mars Red Sky (2011)

Do you wish that instead of putting out a piece of shit like their second album, Sgt. Sunshine put out another killer album like their debut? Do you wish Sgt. Sunshine were French? If you answered yes to either of these questions then Mars Red Sky's first full length is for you (in case you don't know Sgt. Sunshine, they were a stoner rock band from Sweden). I hesitate to say that in the end Mars Red Sky (the album) will supplant Sgt. Sunshine (the album) as my go to stoner rock jam because Sgt. Sunshine has held that honor for so long, but I believe Mars Red Sky will. Here's why: Like Sgt. Sunshine, much of the riffing on Mars Red Sky is of the heavy, groove laden variety that I love. The tracks have plenty of hooks. Honestly, if I were to listen to just the riffs on this album I would swear it was some unreleased Sgt. Sunshine material from around their debut. Unlike Sgt. Sunshine however, Mars Red Sky really mellow out at times, abandoning the Kyuss-like mammoth riffery and fully embracing the psychedelic and space rock elements that permeate the rest of the album. I think the variety makes for a more enjoyable listen. Finally, I generally think vocals are the weak point for most stoner rock bands and Sgt. Sunshine were no exception. I really enjoy the vocals on Mars Red Sky. They're actually good, not just "good for a stoner rock band."

If you dig Sgt. Sunshine (obviously) or Kyuss, check this out. 

Mars Red Sky on last.fm



Get it here.

Gems:  Strong Reflection, Curse, Way To Rome, Marble Sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment