Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Burning Brides- Fall Of The Plastic Empire (2001)

I once read a description of this record as being "the best Mudhoney album that wasn't recorded by Mudhoney" which is a pretty fair description, I suppose. Fall Of The Plastic Empire certainly harkens back to the early 90's grunge and alternative rock scenes. I also detect a bit of Pavement in their sound in the lackadaisical pace they sometimes set (though never as sloppy sounding as Pavement) and especially in the frequently odd and often nonsensical lyrics. Though, just as often Burning Brides churn out big stoner rock riffs that slog along. In the end their sound is hard to pin down, it's grunge, it's alternative, it's slacker rock, it's stoner rock, it's even a bit metal at points. What really matters however, is the fact that it's fucking great. If you listened to any music at all in the 90's you should probably check this out.

Also, Dimitri Coats went on to form OFF! with Keith Morris of Black Flag/Circle Jerks fame, who, if you're smart, you'll be seeing later this month when they open for Dinosaur Jr.

Burning Brides at last.fm

The only track that I could find from Fall Of The Plastic Empire that wasn't live is below, it's one of the heavier tracks from the album, so I've also embedded a video of them performing on Conan from 2002 I think.




Get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment