Monday, November 7, 2011

Gigan- Quasi-Hallucinogenic Sonic Landscapes

Surprise! Another death metal gem from 2011!

I hate the overwhelming majority of modern technical death metal. So much of it is just technical for technicality's sake. Bands seem to sacrifice songwriting, heaviness and originality (3 things I value more in my death metal than technicality) for being as tech as they possibly can. I don't get it. Prime example: Revocation. People talk about that band as if they're the second coming of Death. I get that the dude can play guitar and play it quite well, but Revocation's music is some of the most generic, soulless shit I've ever heard. There are a handful bands that pull off technical death metal well, Gorod, Mitochondrion, Gorguts, Decapitated and a few others. I think I can make another addition to that list with Gigan. If you've listened to much tech death then you know what to expect, but here's what I dig about this album: the Gorguts style insane riffing, Gorod-like jazzy bits, inhuman Origin-esque grind tempos (though unlike Origin, Gigan mix up tempos, so their albums aren't an all-out aural assault that gets tedious after a few songs, the quieter sections are also quite nice) and the strange spacey atmospheric stuff. Also, the fact that this album doesn't just sound like a bunch of riffs smashed together.

I've always wished more death metal bands would go for the space/Sci-Fi thing, thanks Gigan.

Gigan on last.fm



Get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment