Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Graveyard- Hisingen Blues (2011)

Tip of the hat to Black Metal Bobby for the recommendation on this one. A lot of bands have been going for a throwback "classic rock" sound in recent years. Some of them do it pretty well. The Black Angels modern take on the 13th Floor Elevators' psychedelic sound has produced some of my favorite albums of the past decade. Black Mountain also does a nice job with a variety of different classic rock sounds (I posted their most recent album back in April), particularly with their more Zepplin and Sabbath-esque tracks. Unfortunately for Black Mountain, Sweden's Graveyard may have made them irrelevant in my mind. Graveyard's brand of heavy blues harkens back to...well... Led Zeppelin. Most of you know I have a love/hate relationship with Led Zeppelin and publicly I profess a lot more hate than I do when listening to them privately. Their lifting of riffs and entire tracks from blues musicians and traditional blues songs without attribution, responsibility for the bullshit self-aggrandizing rock star posturing that continues to this day and generally shitty attitudes  make it difficult for me to simply enjoy the music. Anyway, Graveyard remind me quite a bit of Led Zeppelin at their best. I'd throw Deep Purple, Hendrix and bit of Sabbathian heaviness into the mix as well. The vocals are particularly strong, channeling Robert Plant at times. "Hisingen Blues" might be my favorite blues song ever, lyrically at least, with its nod to the Swedish black metal scene.

It's not the most original thing you'll ever hear, but it goddamn rocks and that should be good enough for you.

Graveyard on last.fm



Get it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment