This is a tough one. Most of the reviews of Flourishing I have read describe them as a "progressive" or "experimental" death metal band. I feel like "progressive" and "experimental" don't really mean anything anymore, they're terms that get thrown around when it's too difficult to pigeonhole a band's sound and Flourishing's sound is certainly hard to pigeonhole. Death metal certainly applies, but that's only a small part of the story. On The Sum of All Fossils you'll hear death metal, grind, Coalesce-esque weirdness, noise rock and more. I know, it sounds terrible, but trust me. I generally hate genre-salad bands. Too often it ends up sounding like Between The Buried And Me, a bunch of riffs just strung together, but Flourishing somehow make it work. The best description I have read comes from their last.fm page: "The trio bulldozers through massive magnetic riffs, industrial mechanization, realms of dissonance and loose progressive abstraction creating an annihilating rhythmic bedlam." There, does that sound better?
This will most definitely make my top of 2011 list.
Flourishing on last.fm
Get it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment