If you're going to emulate a band, The Jesus Lizard is a pretty great pick in my opinion. And for their first few albums, that's just what Young Widows did. Don't get me wrong, I like 'em just fine, but I don't think they really deviated from The Jesus Lizard's playbook enough to warrant the reverence that many showed for them. Until this album, that is. Sure, there are still a few tracks on here that could be Goat b-sides and the signature gnarly bass tone and pounding drums are still out in full force, but on In And Out Of Youth And Lightness they've dialed back the intensity a bit and created some truly great moody and meandering epics. While I do have Young Widows' first few albums, I can't say I've actively followed them in the past, that's probably going to change.
Also, I'm curious about the song "Miss Tambourine Wrist." Is that anything like tennis elbow?
Young Widows on last.fm
The video below is a vinyl rip (obviously), but it sounds better that 90% of the MP3s people upload to YouTube. Sweet.
Get it here.
No comments:
Post a Comment