Damn this leaked early (it's not out until June). I had been pretty interested in hearing what the new Battles output would sound like after Tyondai Braxton (guitars/keyboard/vocals) left the group and I must say it's pretty rad. Only been able to give this a handful of listens over the past few days, so I can't really say where it stands in Battles' oeuvre quite yet. It reminds me more of the EPs than Mirrored, which is to say it's dense, mechanical sounding, somewhat repetitive and features less of the poppy element that Mirrored had (with the one glaring exception being "Ice Cream," which is one of the best songs I've heard this year). The four tracks with guest vocals are all quite good, which was a pleasant surprise. Likely a year end top 10. Enjoy.
*Per Abow's recommendation, from now on I'll provide a link to each group's last.fm page for bio/discography purposes. If you don't have a last.fm account you should get one and if we aren't friends on there yet, my user name is aninflux*
Battles on last.fm
Get it here.
Gems: Africastle, Ice Cream, Futura, Wall Street, My Machines Sweetie & Shag.
Not even through my first listen yet - Futura is incredible. I am probably going to be listening to it non-stop on repeat for at least the rest of the month.
ReplyDelete